Interview with Musician Laval W. Belle


Following my conversation with Ernest L. Thomas, next up for Batini Arts is a versatile individual balancing multiple careers. From musician, to producer, to author, advocate, among others, I had the opportunity to speak with Laval W. Belle.

BA: From what I’ve gathered, you are definitely a man of many hats. Would you tell the viewers some of the careers you are involved in?

LB: I run Caring Ministries, an outreach I started nearly 20 years ago. We serve food to the homeless.  I teach a weekly bible study, and speak around the country. I am a gospel jazz recording artist. I created an initiative called Black Minds Matter, we award scholarships to first time college students and expose them to various genre(s) of music and arts. My latest endeavor is a book publishing service, where we publish various independent authors.

BA: Would you name some of the artists that you have performed for?

LB: Bette Midler, George Benson, Earth Wind and Fire, Andre Crouch, Kirk Franklin, Aretha Franklin, just to name a few.

BA: What genre(s) of music do you produce?

LB: All Genre(s) of Music

BA: Who would you say are your biggest influences?

LB: Bishop Charles E Blake, Quincy Jones, my Mother, and of course Jesus Christ

BA: Of all your careers, which would you say is the most challenging and the least challenging, in comparison?

LB: Least challenging is Caring Ministries. I love teaching bible study, serving in prisons, feeding people spiritually and naturally. The most challenging is functioning as an advocate for Black Minds Matter.

BA: Would you tell us more about your publishing company, and your organization, Black Minds Matter, and what services they offer?

LB: I just started my publishing company, Noah’s Ark Publishing Service at the beginning of this year, and the response has been quite overwhelming. It is another way for me to give back creatively. I have written seven books, and over the years so many people have come to me for advice about the publishing industry. It’s just another way for me to help writers in a business that can sometimes be overwhelming and intimidating.We are looking forward to publishing our first children’s book in 2018.
Black Minds Matter is a grassroots initiative whose mission is to prepare the next generation of African American leaders in the area of: Education, Voting, and Political Activism. We travel around the country awarding first time college students $500 scholarships and inspire them in the area’s mentioned above through music and arts. You can find out more about Black Minds Matter on our website: www.blackmindsmatter.com.

BA: Tell us more about your latest book release, Your Gifts Are Not Your Purpose: Workbook, more specifically, the concept of it.

LB: Your Gifts Are not Your Purpose Workbook is volume two of the first gift book I wrote nearly twenty years ago. It absolutely helps the reader identify the three gift categories that I call, the Natural Gift, Talent, and Spiritual Gift. The goal is to articulate how these three gift categories are only instruments to facilitate one's purpose.

BA: What can fans expect next from Laval Belle?

LB: I am going to continue inspiring people to write whether it's books, plays, or films. I will continue to advance the mission of our youth particularity in the area of entrepreneurship. I believe the time of our youth (kids) is now.

BA: What advice would you give to those aspiring to get into the music and entertainment industry?

LB: Strive for excellence. Follow what you hear, feel, and see (vision). Don’t confuse the art of music with the business of music and entertainment industry.


BA: Finally, tell the readers why Your Gifts Are Not Your Purpose: Workbook is a must buy.

LB: Your Gifts Are Not Your Purpose answers the age old question: “Why am I here?” Every person is born with eternal DNA, once you know your purpose it gives you unwavering passion for why you do what you do.

Final Word

"Strive for excellence" is a daily inner theme of mine. My goal is to do and be my absolute best at whatever I partake in. It's great to see someone take the time to invest in our youth, being in a society and system that's not designed to benefit them, particularly nowadays.

I want to thank Laval Belle for speaking with me. For more on Laval, his music, books, and publication, visit his website at lavaldream.com.





Comments